Thursday, June 13, 2013

Morning Lows

I forgot to test when I first got up this morning. I had trouble getting up and had to hurry to be ready when Andrew came to pick me up. But I did remember to test just before he was scheduled to come and this is what I found:
Sixty one, and Andrew would be showing up any minute. I ran into the kitchen and grabbed a bite of the first thing I saw, which was peanut butter. This is how much I wasn't thinking. Peanut butter has 8 grams of carbs in 2 tablespoons. I was only eating a teaspoon of it. And I wouldn't test again for another hour because I'm too vain to test in front of my friends.

When I got to work I tested again and found this:
This at least wasn't worse than where I'd started, but I needed to get that number up. I went into my candy statch and ate a snack size bag of jelly beans. They tasted like sweet sand to me.  As the sugar started to hit my blood stream I realized that I had the signs of being low, but when I am low I do not recognize them. My face was sweaty, my mouth was dry and my head felt more than a little spacey. But in a low, I do not realize that I am low.

I tested again 15 minutes later and found:
So much better than before, but still not in target range. So I found a piece of bubble gum and chewed on it for a bit. It still felt like sweet sand, even when the coating was gone and it was gummy.

One more test showed me this:
Finally in range for the first time today. I wish that I could say that it feels good to be back, but that many carbs in so short a time leave me feeling worse than I felt when I was low.

Being low scares me mostly because I do not realize that I am low. There are no warning bells or red flags that I recognize to alert me that my body is in danger. I have talked to both Dr. R and Dr. B about it, and neither of them seem to think that it is that big of a deal. I think they still hold on to the idea that metformin does not cause lows. But if it isn't metformin, what is it? This is by far not the lowest I have ever tested at. Things just got real here is when I test and I'm at 44 or 39. I just don't know where to go from here. If I didn't have my kit who knows.



No comments:

Post a Comment