Friday, December 20, 2013

Be Not Decieved

Dear former friend from college:

I'd like to know when and how such vitral hate become incorporated in your faith. Don't you remember hearing over and over again that God hates the sin, but loves the sinner? I don't remember pouring vinegar on the lost being taught as an effective evangelism technique.

I didn't hear that interview with Phil Robertson. I have no need to. Too much hate talk is already in the world. But the summary of what he said left me shocked and shaking my head. He had such a platform to introduce good into a medium where little good exists, and he wanted to blow it like that.

Let's take a look at it, the verses he referred  to are located in 1 Corinthians 6: 9-11. I recall having quite a discussion about them in Spiritual Life. Since you were the grade book keeper, I'm assuming that you were there taking notes. The verses are

" 9 Or do you not know that wrongdoers will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: Neither the sexually immoral nor idolaters nor adulterers nor men who have sex with men[a] 10 nor thieves nor the greedy nor drunkards nor slanderers nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God. 11 And that is what some of you were. But you were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

In the context of God hates sin, but loves the sinner God recognizes that all of these sinners cannot enter the kingdom of heaven. If you look at that list of wrongdoers you will notice that there are a lot more sinners listed than just homosexuals. People who have had sex outside of marriage; people who have cheated on their spouces; people who are greedy; people who get drunk; people who gossip and people who decieve others are also included. Can you find yourself ? Romans 3:23 says everyone can.

"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God, and all are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

I'm sure that you remember those verses. We were taught them so well we could quote it in a coma. Even Phil Robertson fell short of God's glory and put himself on that list during that interview. I understand that he claims that in all of his 67 years he has never seen a black person mistreated. I'm 56 and I grew up in Georgia. Selma, Alabama is not that far away. Nor is my memory of seeing television footage of people being sprayed with fire hoses and beaten with billie clubs. I saw those signs that said "No Coloreds Allowed". You could not be alive in the 50's and 60's and not have seen the injustice, the contempt, the ill treatment that was poured on a people because of the color of their skin. I saw it in the QT in Canton just a few years ago. Some jerk walked into the store and sneered at the cashier "Ain't there nothin but N's who work in this town?" Is that not ill treatment?

So we have all sinned, we have all fallen short, but read the rest.

"You were washed, you were sanctified, you were justified in the Name of the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God."

"and all are justified freely by His grace through the redemption that came by Christ Jesus."

So, the sexually immoral, the idolaters, the adulterers, the men who have sex with men,  the thieves, the greedy, the drunkards, the slanderers,  the swindlers, you and me. We have all been justified freely by His grace through the redempton that came by the Lord Jesus Christ and by the Spirit of our God.

Put down that tea cup of hate and pick back up your chalice of wine and your loaf of bread. Get back to the ministry by which you were called.

Dear Readers:
I realize that many of you don't share my faith. I haven't tried to preach at you. But this is important to me. This is what I truly believe and I dislike that it is being hijacked by extreamest. Please know that I care about you and really don't want badger you with my beliefs. But these are my beliefs. My purpose with this post is to rebuke christians who have bought into a culture of hate.

Lisa

7 comments:

  1. I saw another post about this today. I am not a believer, but individuals like this are a symbol of why I am not a believer. Hurtful, exclusionary, discriminatory. And yes, I know that there are many, many people who take your (better) path.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a committed Christian, I've attended a Baptist church since I was in my teens. My partner is an elder, my family go, in fact I met my partner at the youth group there. Oh and I'm transgender, but I know the Lord loves me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. First it was the Smurfs.. Now it is televisions Phil Robertson (is he kin to Pat Robertson?). How do we find these role models? I wish Christians (?) would stop telling me how to be a Christian. Never tell me you are a Christian, just show me you are a good person of honesty, faith, caring, family, love, commitment sharing, giving, and trust and I really don't care about anything else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. LL Cool Joe, yes the Lord does love you, and He knew everyone of your days before you lived even one. Never let anyone tell you that you aren't loved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Granny Annie: It wouldn't surprise me if Phil and Pat were related. We all have those relatives we don't admit too.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Elephant: Unfortunately the world is full of things being done in Christ's name that have nothing to do with Him at all.

    ReplyDelete