Sunday, October 11, 2026

Pumpkin

I waited until yesterday to walk into town and get the pumpkin, mostly because I knew I'd be curious about the storm damage after the hurricane passed through. While I was out I bought a mum to go with the pumpkin. I got a red one because it caught my eye. I wonder if it wouldn't have been better to get a yellow one, though, they were kind of sickly looking. With both the caladium and the mum being red, the mum almost goes unnoticed.

I think the arrangement is a bit awkward. If I had to make my living as a landscaper, I would have starved. It's just not my talent, but my neighbor likes my attempts to dress up our shared porch. The caladium will need to come in next week as it will be too cold for it to be outdoors. I'm thinking of getting yellow and purple mums to replace it. That may even out the asymmetry and give me the look that I was hoping for.  

Most of the damage that I saw while I was out walking was just small twigs and leaves. I did see a fence that had been damaged by some kind of limb fall, but the limb had already been cleared away. 

My door is the most fall like thing around here right now. The trees have not begun to change. The birds have not even started flocking yet. Tomorrow the temperatures will go back up to the high 80's and stay that way all week. Then they are supposed to fall into the 60's and not see the 80's again for the rest of the year. 

While I was out, I bought the candy for Halloween. I have no idea if the kids who live here Trick-or-Treat or not. I assume that at least the latch key kids will. I was shocked at the price of candy these days. It has been a while since I have bought any and in the mean time, high fructose corn syrup seems to have become gold. Halloween only happens once a year, so I shouldn't mind so much, especially considering the amount of joy the day gave me when I was a kid.  


No comments:

Post a Comment