But now I don't have anyone to pout and sneer about what I do. What I do have is a Christmas tree that my son gave me and very little in the way of ornaments to hang on it. Two cross country moves has me pretty much a minimalist in that category. And Christmas is coming all year long.
Some of you will remember seeing this picture from last Christmas. I had just moved into my apartment and put up the Charlie Brown tree to give myself a bit of cheer. It had a few strings of lights, some jingle bells and a fake popcorn and cranberry garland on it. It was simple, but it did the job. The tree my son gave me is a five foot tree, not overly large, but I won't be able to match the garland. I've priced it and no, I'm not going to spend that. So I've been thinking that it will be a good time to try my hand at that old hobby that I never got a chance to pick up.I think I will keep it simple. I want to do a garland making beads and stars out of the salt dough using cookie cutter stars, snake rolled and cut beads and twine. Only, I don't have any cookie cutters, so I had to buy a set. They are kind of cheap. And the Mod Podge sealer is dirt cheap now. When I was in high school, you would have thought the stuff was gold. But now it's $5 for a whole big jar of it.
It's probably going to be a lot of work, but if I start now maybe I can have something presentable by the end of November. If all else fails I can buy a bunch of cheap plastic ornaments to go on the tree, but I'd rather give making something better, or at least more meaningful a try. Oh well, I'll have fun with it and see what happens.
But maybe I should make something like this first...
Happy October.




Oh yes, I remember that craft! I never tried it myself (no time in those days for art or crafting) but craft sales were full of those ornaments which were often VERY charming! Good luck and have fun! Keep us posted on your results!
ReplyDeleteFunny how Mod Podge went from something you'd guard like gold to a $5 jar. Homemade stars and beads will mean a lot more on that tree than plastic ornaments, and starting now gives you plenty of time to play around. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.
ReplyDeletehttps://canalsandcitrus.blogspot.com
I used to make salt dough ornaments with my daughter's girl scout troop in the 80's. It's been a while!
ReplyDeleteI noticed the same thing about Mod Podge. I found it at the dollar tree in small bottles for 1.25. I couldn't believe it!!
I love this idea, Lisa! Making your own ornaments is going to give that tree so much personality, and doing it entirely on your own terms makes it even sweeter.
ReplyDeleteStar cutouts and twine garland are timeless, and starting in October is a smart move to stay ahead of the rush. Have fun playing with the dough, enjoy the process, and definitely keep us posted on how the first batch turns out!