Saturday, August 15, 2026

Puzzled Again

 My friend De came to visit last week. It turns out that she likes to work puzzles. She worked the bee puzzle in a day and a half. I kind of helped a little. I'm nowhere near as good as she is at working them. But I didn't want to let it go feeling like it was an ability that I had let go to the wayside. The owl puzzle is nowhere near as difficult as the bee puzzle, and it took me twice as long to work it as it took my friend to work the bee puzzle. But I did manage to get it done. It helped me to think that maybe I'm not silently falling into dementia after all.

Today was my son's 47th birthday. It is his first with his new wife and family. I hope that he enjoyed the day. I tried calling a couple of times, but only got his voicemail. I and his siblings sent birthday messages on the family chat that he responded to. And I checked my Amazon account to find out that the gift I sent did actually arrive. 

I was going to spend the evening at the local theater for a performance of The Spitfire Grille, but it was thunder storming and I just didn't feel like getting out in it all. They will have performances tomorrow and on Sunday and I will attend one of them. So, I stayed home. I dusted and vacuumed the carpets and sprayed an anti-allergy air freshener. Not that my place was dirty, but I feel like if I stay on top of it, maybe I won't suffer from allergies so much this fall. 

I have been binge watching Survivor because Mollie said that she and Chris have been watching it. I watched the last five seasons and to be very honest, I just don't get it. I can't for the life of my understand why people agree to be placed on an island, starved and forced to perform meaningless exhausting and humiliating tasks and psychologically bullied for a chance for any sum of money. And the reality of it is that they probably won't get the money. Only one of them walks away with the prize. I have dealt with emotional and psychological abuse. The harm will outlast the money if they get it. I always judged the ancient Greeks and Romans for their love of blood sports. I looked down on the people who frequent rodeos and bull fights. But it seems that I am no better than them. The entertainment of movies and television shows seem to come at a harsh price for those who earn their living making them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment