I bought some avocados back in February. I have always been told the ones you get from the grocery store won't root, but I proved that theory wrong. I tried with four pits and all of them have produced a tree that is thriving. That really surprised me. I'm just not sure what I'm going to do with four avocado trees in a two bedroom apartment.
I bought a bunch of green onions from the grocery store, but the ones that came in my delivery were already starting to wilt. I put them in a jar of water and they perked up. They perked up so much that they rooted within a couple of days. I've been eating from those onions since April.
I had so much luck with the onions that when I had some leftover basil from a clamshell that I bought for a recipe, I decided to see what would happen if I put it in a jar. That was just a few weeks ago. I have even used some of what I've been growing for a salad when I friend came to visit. And it's thriving. I'm sure that I will eat a few more meals from it.
I had some ginger root that had started to put out eyes. Since I'd already had some success with the onions and basil, I wondered what would happen if I put it in a pot. To my surprise it has started to grow. Since I planted it without knowing much about it, I have asked Alexa about it. Turns out that ginger is pretty easy to grow, but I'm not doing it right. I'm going to have to replant it in a different shape pot. If I give it a few months I might not have to buy ginger anymore.
I have an ivy plant that I snapped off of a tree outside of the fence around a neighboring frat house. It's doing well, but I won't be eating it. And I have some mint that I've grown from seeds that I use in tea. And I have the caladium and a philodendron.
My apartment garden is taking off. I have a tendency to collect plants.

No comments:
Post a Comment