My grandson's medication is extraordinarily expensive and while it isn't the kind of medication that you can just order online from Canada. But it has made him learn how to game the system for other medications that he needs. Georgia is a shitshow medically, and won't allow a lot of medications to be sent there. They don't want anyone to be able to cut Big Pharma, or the insurance industry out of the picture. But it is legal for the medications to be sent to Alabama. Like I said, he is on my lease, so it isn't like we are doing anything untoward.
There is a big part of this situation that makes me frustrated. Why on earth do we all have to jump through hoops and play games to get the medical help that we need? I have friends who live in Canada who are thinking about moving here and I have asked them why. In all the years that I have been alive I never thought it would come to this. But they are young and building their family. You can't get pregnant here. It is dangerous. You can't get sick here. It doesn't even have to be a major illness to bankrupt you. A bout of strep throat will cost you hundreds of dollars before your insurance company will even begin to pay for it. And here we are, the country that exports medications all over the world, and we have to devise schemes to be able to afford the ones that we need to take. It's all a bunch of crap. And sadly, nothing will ever be done about it.
The only upside of this situation that I can see is that my son will have to come regularly to pick up his meds. And that is a plus for me. But Damn it! This shouldn't be this way.

You were wise to double-check the origin of the text, just in case it was a phishing one! Glad you can get the cheaper meds delivered to your place and have a nice visit with your son when he comes to pick them up!
ReplyDeleteI must say that, in my opinion, any Canadian who would move to the USA is . . . "misguided," to be more diplomatic than what I actually want to say, which is "nuts." They must not have a good grasp, or any grasp at all, on political and social realities.