Sunday, August 16, 2026

Heatwave

It's as hot as Hell! I'm sure that everyone is sick and tired of listening to everyone else complain about the heat. It is after all the middle of August and supposed to be hot. But we are all complaining anyway because it is as hot as Hell! We have been under a heat advisory for the better part of a week, and it keeps getting extended. For now, we will be under it until Monday night. But I have no real hope that it will end then. In fact, looking at the forecast, it appears that it is only beginning then and will get worse for the better part of next week when it will be hotter than Hell. 

Heat has always made me sick. It is the one trigger for my heart condition that I am absolutely certain of. I have had cardiac events on at least four occasions that were triggered by it. So I am sitting inside my apartment hiding from it. I have had adjust the temperature on my air conditioner in order to avoid bankruptcy, I had a plan back in February to save money while the electricity bills were small to pay for the larger summer ones. But best laid plans often are often a source of divine derision. It's not really that I'm sweltering under my air conditioning, But my home is warmer than I like it to be. I would really like to see this heatwave move on out and let us start moving into the cooler weather of fall. 

I do this every year. I tire of the heat of summer long before it leaves and in February I will be searching the trees for the first signs of redbuds that will herald the beginning of spring. 

My birthday is next week. I was hoping that the temperatures would be below 90 degrees so I would feel like getting out of the apartment to celebrate. Right now, I don't think that's going to happen. 

Last year at this time I was blogging, complaining about the heat. It was hot then, it's hotter now. A month later I went to a reunion hoping to wear a white shirt and a red sweater that I bought for the event. It was nearly 90 degrees that day. I didn't wear the outfit. I thought I could wear it on Christmas. Christmas day was nearly 80 degrees in north Georgia. I wore the sweater anyway. It's the only time I have worn it. I bought a black sweater at the same time that I bought the red one. I have never worn it. I'm hoping that I will find occasions to wear them both this fall and winter. Maybe it will be a bit cooler. I can only hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment