Wednesday, August 19, 2026

Show of Vanity

I have my groceries delivered these days. It seems like such a novel service now, and almost indulgent. Until the last few years the service hasn't been available widely. 

When I was a child, my grandmother would have her groceries delivered as a way to show off her affluence. The neighbors would see that Mrs. Foreman has her groceries delivered and wish they were as well off as she was. She would only have items delivered that she could be sure of the quality, like canned goods, bags of flour and rice and Wonder Bread. But then she'd tie a silk scarf over her curlers and put on her sunglasses to go into the next town over to get meat and produce where she could choose the quality of it for herself. She claimed she preferred the butcher or the green grocer there. We all knew that it was all vanity with her.

For me, it's not a matter of wanting to appear to be rich. Without a car, I have no other means of getting my groceries, especially in the kind of hot weather we have had this summer. When the weather turns cooler, I can walk into town and shop at the grocery stores there. And I am sure I will enjoy doing that. But I am awfully glad that I live in an area where I can have my groceries delivered. 

The grocery store made a mistake when it fulfilled my order. I usually order two, eighteen count cartons of eggs. They sell them in bundles, but I don't order the bundles as the bottom carton usually has broken eggs in it. Instead I chose the single cartons and order two. The store delivered two of the bundles. I already had a partial carton of them, so now I have seven dozen eggs. I like eggs. I use a lot of them, They are a cheap source of protein, and very versatile... but seven dozen eggs is an awful lot for one person. When Jerome and Shequan get home from work today, I will see if they might like some free eggs. Otherwise, I will be eating a lot of egg salad in the coming week. 

I also had my birthday cake delivered with the groceries. It is waiting in the refrigerator with the abundance of eggs. I will enjoy it on Saturday after I get home from whatever outing I decide to treat myself with. The birthday cake and day out is my show of vanity.

5 comments:

  1. When I broke my arm, grocery delivery was a Godsend. And my daughter used it after having a baby. I am so glad that what goes around, comes around and grocery delivery is a thing. I do love the story about your grandmother sneaking off to another town for groceries. Too funny.
    That is a lot of eggs! I do like eggs and could eat them all day but not if I am required, lol. I hope your birthday cake is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is a lot of eggs and it is a good thing they last quite a while.
    I see that eventually I will have to have groceries delivered when I cannot drive to the store anymore.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy moly, that's a lot of eggs! Enjoy your birthday cake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My hubby accidentally purchased eggs when we did NOT need any. He gave them to one of his co-workers, the guy has a big family and they were appreciative.

    You reminded me of a story. My great grandfather was born in 1888. His family was wealthy, and had servants. The cook used to take the grapefruit rinds (only the wealthy could afford to have grapefruit shipped to them in Chicago!) out of the trash and take them home and throw them away in her trash can. When asked why, she said, "It makes my garbage look so stylish!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is a lot of Eggs, I doubt even my Family could plow thru that many! It's good you shared them and I think Grocery Delivery is a wonderful thing for many reasons for some people. My Grandson uses the Service a lot and so far when it arrives I'm impressed with how carefully it's chosen and how well it has been packaged to arrive without problems... he uses Amazon, but most Stores do have Home Delivery Services now for Groceries. I like to shop for Groceries, but, I have my own Transportation and many Grocers quite close by to choose from. My Mom did a lot of Vanity things when I think about it, she cared what other people thought... I'm quite the opposite, since I never think about what other folks think... in fact, I believe they don't think about other people as often as most think they might.

    ReplyDelete